Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Stem Cells

I don't claim to be neutral on stem cell research. My mother-in-law has Parkinson's disease. So far, her medications are controlling it, but I'd love to see a cure. There's Alzheimer's disease on both sides of my family, and I figure it's only a matter of time for me--unless. . . . No one can say for sure what advances medicine might make with stem cell research expanded. Even Bill Frist, who last winter was taking a hard line against expansion of this research, is in favor of it. Who's against it? A few religious fanatics in the Congress who couldn't be bothered to show up at their own background briefing on the subject. (I know. That doesn't exactly sound like zealotry, but maybe they're saving it for later.) Oh, and President Dumb as Dirt.
Dumb as Dirt has gone five years without vetoing anything. He's issued signing statements that he thinks have legal standing, but one of these days the Supremes (except Scalia) are going to point out to him that the Constitution makes no provision for signing statements.) Now, with most people in favor of expanded research with reasonable restrictions, he decides that he's going to drop the V bomb. I think this shows us something about his truly warped little mind.
I think he believes that the only way to show that you're a real thinker is to fly in the face of what many people believe. And let's face it: He's a prince of the blood royal. People have made fun of him, perhaps most of his life, for riding Daddy's coattails. I don't know much about his prep school record. His Yale record looks like that of a legacy from a wealthy family--somebody who really deserves to flunk, but there's no sense in making the wealthy family angry by actually failing him. How did someone with his GPA get into Harvard Business School? My undergrad record, overall, was not particularly distinguished, as his wasn't, and I had was very fortunate to get into a program at William and Mary. I was rejected by Duke (for which I now thank God) and North Carolina (almost equally thankful for that). How did Dumb as Dirt get into Harvard? I suspect that donations were made. And everybody knows that without Daddy's money and those lifelong friendships cultivated in Skull and Bones, this drug-eating alcoholic moron would be simply another drug-eating alcoholic moron.
Bush probably knows that he has accomplished nothing independently, and that probably feels pretty rotten. (Lord knows I've had struggles feeling that my father was a better person than I am.) So he's got to show that he's independent. He had to demostrate that he has strength and courage. So how does he do that? He has to go it alone as often as possible.
This is one of the problems with imperial families. They produce warped princes. I look forward to the day that we're rid of him, and I hope that it will be by impeachment so that we need not spend one more cent on his maintenance or safety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home