Thursday, September 07, 2006

Alternative Interrogation Procedures

President Chickenhawk now acknowledges that the CIA has used "alternative interrogation procedures" on suspected terrorists. In other words, these alleged terrorists have been tortured. And a lot of people believe that's okay because "it keeps us safe." What we need is some serious discussion of the value of coercive interrogation.
Ponder this one for a minute. You're not a terrorist really, but somebody said you were, and Americans picked you up and threw you in Gitmo or some other garden spot. You're living a truly lousy life there. You're interrogated regularly, and you tell the truth, but telling the truth doesn't get you much. Finally, your interrogators start doing a water board on you or depriving you of sleep or doing something else as torturous. Your life just went from lousy to worse than lousy. At this point, you decide that telling the truth hasn't helped. The only solution that comes to mind is lying, so you tell your interrogators what they want to hear.
Do I know any other terrorists? Damn right I do; people who have treated me badly are terrorists, and I really don't care if they get picked up and thron in some garden spot.
Do I know of any terrorist plots? Damn right I do; I wasn't a part of the plans, mind you, but this person who has really treated me badly talked about blowing up a bridge or shopping mall or something. In other words, ask me anything and I'll tell you whatever I think you're going to believe if you'll just leave me alone.
Now. What do you think these alleged terrorists did? How many American military, law enforcement, and intelligence personnel have been running around grasping at straws? How much has this contributed to the lack of successful prosecutions? How much has it contributed to the fact that Osama been Forgotten hasn't been captured and brought to justice?
You can argue the morality of torture all day long and in the end, some people are still going to say that it's justified because it keeps us safe, but the truth is that it doesn't do anything for anbody. Let's hope that people are smart enough to realize that this is just one more instance of President Chickenshit lying to the American people to cover the ineffectiveness of his regime. And I've got news for him: Princess Jenna will never ascend the throne because this is still the United States, and unlike his filthy Saudi royal friends, we don't believe in monarchies here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home