Monday, March 20, 2006

March Madness II

The first weekend of March Madness is over, and who would have expected that the George Mason University Patriots would bump off North Carolina to get into the Sweet Sixteen? My best friend/singing partner, Roger, and I met when we were students at George Mason and we didn't think that our Alma Mater was going to get by Michigan State. When we checked the Mason-UNC game during a break in our practice on Sunday afternoon, we did a double-take and decided that it looked like Mason was keeping Carolina from running and gunning. And as I drove home, I heard the end of the game, with Carolina sending Mason to the foul line in double bonus and Mason contemplating fouling to burn time because they still had fouls to give. I had to go to GMU today to get myself some GMU clothing, and I was pleased to see that the statue of George Mason was wearing a basketball jersey.
Coach Jim Larranga has done one hell of a job with a bunch of kids who got overlooked by the majors, know that they aren't supposed to have gone this far in the tournament, and are under their coach's instructions to have the time of their lives. Maybe we need more coaches like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home