Friday, February 17, 2006

I Wonder What Would Happen

Okay. Let's say that I go out quail hunting with some friends of mine. I know it's a stretch because most of my friends aren't hunters, let alone quail hunters. And let's say that at lunchtime, we decide to have a beer. My friends and me drinking beer isn't a stretch; some of my friends drinking just one beer is a different story. So we finish the beer and start hunting again, and it's getting on toward seven o'clock in February. But one of us somehow leaves the group for a few minutes, and when he comes back, one of us shoots him. We all know some first aid, and we've got cell phones with us, so we start treating for shock and bleeding and wait for an ambulance, which soon arrives and hauls him off the to hospital. We go back to thehome of the person who owns the property where we were hunting. A bit later, a sheriff's deputy shows up to ask about the ambulance, but we explain that we're all cool and he leaves. Next morning, somebody decides that maybe we need to make an official report, so we call the sheriff's office, and the deputy comes back. We answer his questions, and he goes away, even though the guy who did the shooting doesn't have the right stamp to be hunting quail. Sure. That's believable, isn't it?
I think Dick Cheney should come clean with America. I might cut him some slack for not having the right stamp and for not making sure of his target the way I was taught to do when I was a kid. I might give him the benefit of the doubt for hunting at dusk, when visibility is terrible. But he needs to tell us how he got the cop to leave him alone. I want to do that if I ever get pulled over for speeding again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home